Position: Community Manager Portfolio
Employer: FirstService Residential
Position: Community Manager
Reports to: Regional Director
Location: Los Angeles, CA
JOB SUMMARY: A Community Manager manages all aspects of community association(s). Acts as an advisor to boards of directors, homeowners and vendors. Responds to inquiries and requests for work from board members and homeowners. Manages an annual maintenance and performance review calendar (including soliciting proposals, reviewing proposals and reviewing contracts, deliverables and metrics). Reviews and approves all payables and audits monthly and annual financial statements for errors and recodes. Manages accounts receivable process including processes not owned by FirstService Residential systems by obtaining monthly status reports from third parties and doing routine follow-ups.
Independent judgment and discretion is consistently used when advising boards of directors, directing vendors and supervising their work, responding to homeowner and volunteer inquiries, and working with municipalities to serve a shared customer.
A CM acts only under general supervision and has unique training specific to the community association management industry. While a community manager does periodically check in with a supervisor, a supervisor does not direct day-to-day work. The CM sets their schedule, manages and reports on their performance and deadlines and is responsible for the retention of each of the clients to which they serve.
A CM manages community associations. This includes acting as an advisor to boards of directors, homeowners and vendors. This position will include handling several different accounts during attrition, transition and/or account set up. Will also involve working with several different individuals throughout the company for the proper management of an account and any tasks and projects that may be needed in order to meet the needs of our clients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure all civil code and legal document requirements are met and association remains in compliance.
- Manage Board of Directors and Community relations.
- Coordinate, attend and have oversight of all client meetings.
- Retain the association clients assigned to be managed.
- Create agendas for board meetings and packets (Board Packets) in accordance with company procedures. Responsible for all board meeting follow-up, minutes, and correspondence. Take accurate notes at board meetings of all board of director actions and directions and maintain a “to do” list. Dictate minutes.
- Take client calls and determine appropriate action. Follow emergency and non-emergency protocols as required to ensure appropriate cost accountable and risk exposure to HOA.
- Conduct all walkthroughs (Landscape, Violation, Architectural Review and Turnover, Work Order verification) and complete appropriate follow-up.
- Manage all deadlines and updates in Connect Database.
- Responsible for association fiscal management including financial statement review and comprehension.
- Develop and prepare appropriate annual draft budget for board of director approval, implement and manage to the budget monthly for each client.
- Manage association accounting needs including payment of client invoices, audit, tax payments, 1365 budget and monthly delinquency monitoring (both FirstService Residential and third party systems) along with competent understanding and use of our accounting system (Filebound/Jenark).
- Manage association insurance coverage and needs ensuring adequate and consistent coverage. Obtain, audit and update yearly “risk management” report for Board of Directors from BCS (Business Credentialing Services).
- Manage and submit all charge-backs to association(s) monthly for assigned associations.
- Manage litigation needs.
- Foster team building among all members including Community Management (CM) teammates, Associate CMs, Assistants, accounting staff, copy shop, reception staff, customer care center and marketing department.
- Manage and oversee vendor relations, contracts, deliverables and metrics.
- Oversee and process homeowner violations.
- Manage special projects.
- Author or provide correspondence, budget information, newsletters, and election information via dictation or computer.
- Review and approve all communications to and from association members.
- Authorize payment of invoices.
- Manage bid process, review bid spec proposals and comparison spreadsheets from associate and make board recommendations as appropriate.
- Educate association board members on changes to legislation that impact their association.
- Responsible for all aspects of the annual meeting/election process.
- Provide web content for Connect website provided at no charge to all clients.
- Responsible for all association files in accordance with company standardized hard copy and electronic system.
- Track and ensure requirements are met for processing Statement of Domestic Non- Profit.
- Utilize company support staff in accomplishing daily tasks in efficient, respectful manner.
- Seek out and present process improvement opportunities to Board of Directors and FirstService Residential management.
- Attend and exhibit leadership at industry functions.
- Follow quality system procedures including all FirstService Residential systems (Connect, Filebound/Jenark, Task & Calendar, Board Packet, Standard Operating Procedures, etc.)
- Must have reliable transportation, driver’s license and be able to drive to association clients, and other meetings as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Though not all positions are responsible for supervision of associates, the position does require direct oversight of all aspects of assigned clients including guiding and advising Boards of Directors, vendors and homeowners and all day to day management of each client.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent customer service and relationship building background/skills.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills consisting of oral, written and listening skills with the ability to draft, coordinate and make presentations including a manager’s report in a board meeting setting and a large audience.
- Collaborative decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to read and understand financial statements, budgets and working with numbers and the ability to explain same to a larger audience, particularly the Board of Directors.
- Ability to draft correspondence and reports along with responding to inquiries and client concerns effectively and independently.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills and time management abilities while working in a fast-paced, multitasking environment.
- Set and communicate deadlines and follow through on tasks and/or performance deliverables/metrics for clients including resident homeowners, committees, vendors and boards of directors.
- Must have some general knowledge of the trades.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to attend and actively participate at night meetings as required.
- Occasionally weekend work may be required
- Must have minimum typing speed of 30 WPM.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Applications, especially Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Four-year college degree preferred or comparable business experience.
Proficient in English.
Excellent general math skills.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Must be able to work well under pressure and deadlines, as well as work independently and prioritize time effectively. Ability to make decisions and solve problems creatively.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License and State mandated vehicle insurance. CMCA preferred. Will be required within two years of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to lift 25lbs.
Must be able to sit for extended periods of time. Must have finger dexterity for typing/using a keyboard.
Must have audible (hearing) ability and skills.
Ability to walk extensive slope and/or flat association areas and visually review landscape, building areas, recreation facilities, parks etc. to ensure proper maintenance.
Ability to work late into evenings as required for board meeting attendance.
The work environment characteristics are normal office conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Will require driving, must have a valid driver’s license.
Full time position. Normal schedule is Monday through Friday, dependent upon company needs and workload. Hours over and above normal office hours are required.
Attendance at evening meetings and occasional weekend association events required upon direction and request.
Consistent and regular attendance required.
FirstService Residential is North America's foremost property management firm. Our dedication, responsiveness and integrity are why thousands of communities across the U.S. and Canada choose FirstService Residential to manage their properties. We have expertise working with complex communities with large budgets and numerous amenities. In addition, we manage commercial associations and mixed-use developments, as well as multi-family and investor-owned rental and REO properties for institutional and private equity clients.
We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, apply today or join our community and learn more about FirstService Residential.
To learn more about our company and culture, please visit www.fsresidential.com/california
FirstService Residential is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Send Inquiries To: Jodi.Vallance@fsresidential.com